There are loads of creative, easy ways that you can contribute to your favorite cause. Some of them are more personal, while others are more easily shared. The amount of effort you want to put forth is completely up to you, but remember that the harder you work, the more difference you make!
If you’re looking to contribute to something and aren’t sure where to begin, check out the ideas listed below. There’s a lot you can do!
- DoSomething.org This website is chock-full of ways to get involved with loads of different causes. This is an organization mainly aimed at teenagers, but of course, people of all ages can get involved, too! The tasks and challenges the site provides don’t require money, an adult, or a car. This way, a person who is on a tight budget, without transportation, or without a lot of parental guidance can get involved with causes they care about. Some of the projects include bullying, animal cruelty, and equal rights.
- Recycle – Here’s another great, cheap way to help the environment. Many local schools have huge recycling programs and love it when you drop off paper, plastic, and other reusable goods. If you want to make a little cash, collect aluminum cans (soup cans, soda cans) from your house, your neighborhood, or even clean up the roads! When you have about fifty pounds of them, take the cans to a scrap yard and turn them over for cash on the spot. Call your local community center or town hall for a list of scrap yards near you.
- Donate money – This is a great way to make sure your favorite causes always have the funds to do what they do best – help! You can make donations regularly or hold fundraisers. It’s also a great idea to allot kids twenty or so dollars a month and let them donate the money to a charity of their choice.
- Donate time – Volunteering is a valuable way to make sure an organization has plenty of helping hands. If you’re a childhood obesity advocate, sponsor an all-kids class at a local gym, or teach one yourself! You can teach kids to play basketball, dance, or do an aerobics class. If you want to encourage literacy, donate books to the library or sponsor or teach English classes. You can even read children’s books to kids. Volunteering provides a learning atmosphere and a place for kids to go when they need to get away from home.
- Change your lifestyle – Being an example of generous, charitable behavior is one of the best ways to inspire others to get involved. Just having the right attitude can bring change to your community! The world needs loving, kind people, so be one of them.
- Share – You can share news, events, or causes on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites. Recently, I posted on Facebook about Heifer International. They supply sustainable income to families in need by giving them farm animals like cows, chickens, and rabbits. I don’t have the funds to buy a cow, but I asked for anyone who’s interested to split the cost with me. Similar measures might bring in results you didn’t expect.
I hope you all find a way to get involved.
Please share this article