Even if you’re strapped for cash, one thing many women aren’t willing to skimp on is their skincare. Research on consumer behavior shows that one thing women generally don’t cut down on even in a tough economy is their spending on skin care. And for good reason – it’s recommended to start an anti-aging regime in your 20s and continue to evolve it throughout your lifetime for best results. I myself recently made the switch over to the Mark Kay Timewise anti-aging system of cleansers and moisturizers this year (sigh).
But being skin-conscious doesn’t mean you have to spend a fortune. Here’s a few suggestions for how to cut back on the bucks:
- Combine your products – buy a cleanser that also acts as a toner and a daily moisturizer that doubles as a night cream.
- Stick to the basics – Your skincare system really only needs to consist of four products: a cleanser/toner, an all-purpose anti-aging moisturizer, an eye cream and an exfoliator. Don’t go overboard with extra products that will add up to big bucks!
- Clip coupons – Use your CVS (or other drugstore) savings card, visit brands’ websites for coupons and special offers, and check your local paper and the ValuePaks that come in the mail to find out where the sales are. Many stores offer better prices for two or even three products at a time, so once you find a product you like stock up. You’d be amazed at how much you can save!
- Don’t by into the hype – Yes, fancy brands like Crème de la Mer make big claims about their results (and sure, they are great products), but you’ll drop $100 or more on a bottle. Don’t be afraid to use affordable brands like Philosophy, Olay, and L’Oreal, which are found in many drugstores and still live up to their stellar reputations!
Here’s a few suggestions for affordable, reputable products that deliver great results:
- Olay Complete Moisturizing Lotion with SPF 15 – A great choice for moisturizing your face and neck (a lot of us forget to moisturize our necks regularly, but aged neck skin can totally give away your age!). This product costs $7.30 at Target.com.
- Lubriderm with SPF 15 – Using sunscreen every day is the golden rule of skincare, and it’s not just for you face! This awesome product is $8.19 for the 13.5 oz. bottle at SOAP.com.
- Luxury Eye Cream by Physician's Formula – Finding the right eye cream can be a challenge. This brand is super cheap on Amazon.com (currently $5.36) and holds its own in tests against expensive brands. Remember that the skin around your eyes is the most delicate, so apply by lightly dabbing with your ring finger.
- Olay Age Defying Daily Renewing Cleanser – This product works as a cleanser, makeup remover, and gentle exfoliate all in one. It's only $5.90 right now at TheOnlineDrugstore.com.
- If you’re willing to go a little more expensive, try RoC Multi-Correxion Night Treatment to get rid of discolorations, plump your skin, and minimize pores. It retails for about $27 in most drugstores.
- Another great choice is Burt's Bees Naturally Ageless Intensive Repairing Serum, which reduces fine lines and wrinkles with its non-greasy formula…and it smells amazing! It goes for about $25 in drugstores.
What are your fave skincare products, StyleQuirkers? Tell us about your best or worst skincare experiences!
Please share this article