Ginnifer Goodwin, the Once Upon a Time star, has really been rocking the awards shows! She showed up at the Emmys wearing a beautifully whimsical cream dress with loads of orange appliques, beautiful orange heels, and one of the best makeup looks of the mass of celebrities attending.
Her makeup, with the smoky but well-defined eyes and otherwise neutral face, is a great look for fall and can be pared down for more casual occasion, or taken as is for a formal look. Here’s the scoop on how to re-create it!
- You’re going to need a good primer, because Goodwin’s skin here is flawless and porcelain. If you’re going for a casual look, you can skip this step, but otherwise, try Matte It primer from The Body Shop.
- Grab your favorite foundation and blend very well. Cream or liquid will work best for this look and because colder weather can be too drying for powder foundations. My favorite is Studio Fix Fluid, by MAC.
- Use concealer to cover up any left-over dark spots or blemishes. I like Lightening Touch, from The Body Shop.
- Now for the eyes! They’re the focus of this makeup look. You’re going to be creating a false crease above your real one so that your eyes look larger. This was a popular makeup trick in the ’60s, and we’re bringing it back. Grab a matte black shadow. I like Clinique’s Midnight. Take a small angled brush or blending brush and re-draw a “new” crease slightly above your natural one. Blend the shadow well towards the corners of your eyes into a cat-eyed wing. You want this to be thick and very noticeable and to end in a concise point. Use tape if you have to. You can apply Scotch tape on your face to create the lines you want drawn on.
- Grab your favorite black liquid liner. Clinique’s black liquid liner works great. Start in the middle of your lash line and bring your black liner up to meet the shadow. The two will blend in together for the finished look. You want to aim for something like a triangle, because you’re going for a cat-eye line. Then bring the line down towards your inner corner, staying as close to the lash line as possible.
- Finish off with either your favorite false lashes or a few healthy coats of mascara!
- As a side note, Goodwin appears to have filled in her brows. Use a matte brown shadow or brow pencil to do that. Clinique has a great line of brow pencils for that.
I hope you enjoyed this look, and maybe I’ll see some of you sporting it out somewhere!
Please share this article