- Beauty & Style
- Contact Us
Like Us, Follow Us
Your lifestyle, your quirk
Nothing says fall to me like a nice plaid print. There are several traditional plaid prints to choose from this season, but one that isn’t too holiday-esque but is perfect for right now is the Buffalo print plaid. This particular plaid design is typically embraced by the boys, but fall 2012 has the girls seeing red…and black.
For those of you who are not familiar with this print, the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as, “A broad checkered plaid pattern, usually of two colors.” I would like to add that one of the two colors is most often black. Typically this print is done in the color combo of red and black, but other colors like blue, white, or yellow can be used.
This print has roots that go back much further, but it was most recently very popular in the ’90s. Buffalo plaid, in red and black specifically, was a popular fabric, used mostly on shirts worn by fans of grunge music culture. These comfy and usually oversized shirts were worn by both males and females with jeans, and women often wore them over shorts, leggings, skirts, and dresses.
Buffalo print plaid isn’t one of my favorite plaid prints because it has a bit of a costume-like vibe to it. Can you older folks say “Howdy Doody?” This plaid always brings to my mind lumberjacks, camping, and cute construction workers. All plaid prints can be a bit kitschy, but I can’t deny it’s got a true fall feeling to it.
This year, buffalo plaid is not just for flannel shirts anymore. It’s still traditionally used for button-down shirts, but this print has also gone girly, and sometimes be quite glamorous. Here are a few ideas to get your buffalo on:
1. Accessories – try a pair of tights, a scarf, or hair accessories. This is a cute accent to all black or used when mixing your prints.
2. Wear a buffalo plaid jacket, but in a completely girly way, such as a full-length coat or a cute, short, fitted jacket with peplums.
3. Work the “boyfriend look” with a great pair of jeans, a frilly white camisole under an oversized buffalo plaid shirt, and don’t forget the pearls and red lips.
4. Try a pair of buffalo plaid leggings under an oversized black cardigan or t-shirt, then add a pair of black boots or cool flats.
5. A buffalo print jumper or dress will look darling over a pair of black leggings or skinny jeans. One idea if you’re on a tight budget is to raid your favorite guy’s closet and get your buffalo on in a fun and very fashionable way.