- Beauty & Style
- Contact Us
Like Us, Follow Us
Your lifestyle, your quirk
If you weren't already aware, color giant Pantone recently declared tangerine as this season's biggest color. In light of that announcement, I thought I’d break down some really good orange-hued pieces, from clothing to shoes to bags and more! Orange can be flattering on any skin tone; you just have to pick the right shade. I'll include a couple of different shades so you can hopefully find one that suits you best. Personally, I love orange on dark skin tones, but I'm really fair, so I don't have that advantage.
1. Nails - Bright orange nails can really liven up any basic manicure. The trick is picking a flattering color. I recommend oranges with lots of blue in them, or as a pastel. Avoid neon orange on your hands. Any color that is too bright can really highlight any flaws like dry skin and age spots that you may have. temptalia.com Here's a picture of a really pretty tangerine manicure done right. The color is “Tangerine Dream” by Becca. It's a little muted, not too overpowering, and so it flatters rather than highlights flaws.
2. Clothes - Bright orange looks good in little pops or big doses, provided you style it correctly. My favorite piece in my closet right now is a tangerine-colored dress that I have, and I always pair it with neutral shoes to keep the outfit from being too busy or fussy. The same rule applies to all bright hues; you should tone them down with at least one neutral piece. You can also use bright colors in small areas for just a pop of color. Here's an example of a top from Forever 21 that I'd use as an accent piece. forever21.com
I'd probably pair it with high-waisted cutoffs, or really dark jeans, and maybe a blazer. I'd keep my shoes to a complementary color, probably not black, but a nude shade. You can also use tops this like in a color blocking outfit!
3. Bags - Bright colors often look good in a purse, too! You can generally wear a bright bag with almost any outfit, provided the added extra bit of color isn't overkill. I found this super-cute Michael Kors bag. I know, Kors is expensive, but you can find more affordable alternatives at places like TJ Maxx. neimanmarcus.com
I love the simple, classy shape of this bag, and the detailed handles. I'd probably wear it with a classier outfit, maybe with a dress or blazer.
4. Hair - AH! Crazy, I know, but I've done it! I dyed my hair orange about a year ago, and absolutely loved it. Of course, you can always go with a more natural orange-red shade, like Florence Welch, or take a leaf out of Hayley Williams' book and go completely orange.
5. Shoes - Oh, the though of a good pair of wedges with tangerine in it...tempting my wallet as we speak. However, a good pair of heels is just as alluring, and I love these ones from Selve. neimanmarcus.com
The little bit of pink is simply adorable! These heels are fun but classy, so you could wear them with jeans, a dress, a skirt, or anything in between.
Tangerine is showing all over the runway; I recently wrote an article featuring one of Vanessa Hudgen's orange Tibi dress. It's safe to say the color is here to stay, so I suggest trying it out anywhere you feel comfortable.