It seems that the news is full of vacation disasters during the summer. There are even shows dedicated to it, like When Vacations Attack. So it’s no surprise that many people are studying vacation safety more closely than ever; you should be doing this, too! When you’re away from home, there are more opportunities than ever for something to go wrong. And while you shouldn’t worry so much that it ruins your vacation, it’s best to know a few tips and tricks to keep your family safe. Keep reading for the rundown on vacation safety!
Before You Leave
- Double-check all electronics and heating surfaces like toasters, ovens, etc., to make sure they’re off. Don’t leave any fans running, either!
- Let your friends and family know where to reach you in an emergency.
- Turn your A/C down. If you’re going to be gone for a while, don’t leave your air conditioner running on high. That wastes energy and your money!
- Cancel your newspaper service. If you’re going to be gone for a while, your newspapers will stack up and tell everyone in the area you’re not home, welcoming them to break in. Also, don’t talk about your departure in public, and tell your friends and family to do the same.
- If you have small children, talk to them about a plan of action to take during an emergency.
- Pack any medicines your family needs.
While You’re There
- Make sure you know where the emergency exits in the hotel are.
- Memorize the flag colors on the beach. Different-colored flags signify things like weather, waves, and marine life. You should be able to find a chart of their meanings on the beach.
- If you’re in a place that makes you skeptical of water quality, don’t settle! Use only bottled at all times, even when brushing your teeth.
- Find out where the hospital or a doctor’s office is.
- Don’t leave purchases or electronics in plain sight in the car.
- Take advantage of the safety deposit boxes that your hotel provides; lock valuables and extra cash in them.
These vacation safety tips should help keep you safe and sound, no matter where you are! Don’t forget the golden rules of safety, because they apply no matter where you are. Don’t talk to strangers, don’t go out alone at night, and don’t flash a bunch of cash around. Just remember to be safe and smart at all times!
Please share this article